FASTMAP: A user-friendly software package for efficient B0 shimming in magnetic resonanceTechnology #cu17327
Questions about this technology? Ask a Technology Manager
This technology is a software package that enables automatic B0 shimming for improved magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spectroscopy (MRS).
Unmet Need: Efficient method for correcting imperfections in the B0 field during magnetic imaging
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spectroscopy (MRS) allow unrivaled access to anatomy and physiology in a non-invasive fashion. However, both methods suffer from inherent imperfections in the B0 magnetic field that can result in signal distortion or dropout. As such, experimental homogenization of the B0 field, a process known as B0 shimming, is essential. While methods for B0 shimming exist, many are difficult to use or require extensive customization by the end user. As such, there is a need for an efficient, user-friendly method for B0 shimming that may be readily integrated into MRI systems.
The Technology: FASTMAP software package for reducing magnetic field imperfections in magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy
This technology is a software package that provides efficient first- and second-order B0 shimming for commercially-available magnetic resonance (MR) systems. This technology uses the FASTMAP method introduced by Gruetter et al.to derive B0 field information along six selected projections, producing significant time savings compared with B0 shimming techniques that require full 3-dimensional imaging. This technology is bundled for General Electric (GE) MRI scanners into an MR sequence along with a user-friendly graphical user interface (GUI) software package that combines data processing, shim current calibration, and shim current adjustment. This technology may either be incorporated directly into commercial MRI scanners or may be implemented as a stand-alone software package for in-depth data analysis. By bundling the FASTMAP B0 shimming software into a user-friendly GUI software package, this technology provides a powerful tool for scientists and clinicians that require efficient B0 optimization.
- B0 shimming for commercial MRI and MRS systems
- Magnetic field shimming for magnetic particle imaging (MPI) and magnetic resonance elastography (MRE) applications
- Stand-alone software package for in-depth data analysis
- Streamlined B0 shimming process
- Automated and unbiased analysis algorithm
- Compatible with existing MRI and MRS technology
- User-friendly graphical interface
- Juchem C, de Graaf RA. “B0 magnetic field homogeneity and shimming for in vivo magnetic resonance spectroscopy” Annals of Biochemistry. 2017 Jul 15; 529: 17-29.
- Gruetter, R. and C. Boesch. “Fast, noniterative shimming of spatially localized signals. In vivo analysis of the magnetic field along axes.” Journal of Magnetic Resonance. 1992; 96: 323-334.
- Gruetter, R. “Automatic, localized in vivo adjustment of all first- and second-order shim coils” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine. 1993; 29(6): 804-11.
Tech Ventures Reference:
Licensing Contact: Joan Martinez