A polymeric mesh for safer expansion of transplantable human T cellsTechnology #cu16301
Questions about this technology? Ask a Technology Manager
This technology is an antibody-coated polymeric mesh that can be used to select for and expand human T cells for safer immunotherapy.
Unmet Need: Method of expanding T cells without contamination by harmful residual substrates
Current methods for activation and expansion of T cells for immunotherapy rely on antibody-coated microbeads that are difficult to separate from the activated T cells before they are returned to the patient. Furthermore, the rigidity of the microbeads prevents robust T cell expansion, as softer materials have been demonstrated to increase T cell proliferation. As such, there is a need for a method that efficiently activates and expands T cells without risk of contamination by residual substrate.
The Technology: Mesh-based platform for safer and enhanced ex vivo T cell expansion
This technology is a polymeric mesh designed for the ex vivo activation and proliferation of T cells. The mesh substrate, comprised of a blend of soft polymers, is coated with a layer of antibodies capable of specifically activating T cells. Isolated T cells are stimulated on the antibody-coated mesh, removed for further culturing and proliferation, and then reintroduced into the patient. Compared with rigid microbeads, this technology employs a flexible activating substrate that promotes greater cell expansion and reduces the risk of introducing substrate residues into the patient. Taken together, this technology provides a robust method of T cell expansion for safe and efficient immunotherapy.
This technology has been validated using cells harvested from patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- T cell expansion for cancer immunotherapy
- T cell expansion for immunotherapy-based treatment of chronic illnesses
- Expansion and activation of T cells for research use
- Expansion and activation of other immune cell types
- Reduced risk of residual activating substrate in the final cell product
- Enhanced proliferation of T cells compared to bead-based platforms
- Increased mechanosensing of T cells due to flexibility of polymeric mesh
- Cells can be isolated from the activating substrate without magnetic separation
Tech Ventures Reference:
Licensing Contact: Richard Nguyen